Thursday, May 19, 2011

How Can I Be Happy?

Wow - let me know when you find the answer...just kidding, I actually already know the answer.

We're studying a David Jeremiah book in Sunday School called "God, I Need Some Answers." We all need answers, and I firmly believe God's Word is THE place to go for all our answers.

I love what King Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes 2:1-10. NLT "I said to myself, “Come on, let’s try pleasure. Let’s look for the ‘good things’ in life.” But I found that this, too, was meaningless. So I said, “Laughter is silly. What good does it do to seek pleasure?” After much thought, I decided to cheer myself with wine. And while still seeking wisdom, I clutched at foolishness. In this way, I tried to experience the only happiness most people find during their brief life in this world. I also tried to find meaning by building huge homes for myself and by planting beautiful vineyards. I made gardens and parks, filling them with all kinds of fruit trees. I built reservoirs to collect the water to irrigate my many flourishing groves. I bought slaves, both men and women, and others were born into my household. I also owned large herds and flocks, more than any of the kings who had lived in Jerusalem before me. I collected great sums of silver and gold, the treasure of many kings and provinces. I hired wonderful singers, both men and women, and had many beautiful concubines. I had everything a man could desire! So I became greater than all who had lived in Jerusalem before me, and my wisdom never failed me. Anything I wanted, I would take. I denied myself no pleasure. I even found great pleasure in hard work, a reward for all my labors."

Sounds like King Solomon thought it was all about him and would stop at nothing to ensure he got what he wanted and whatever made him happy. Solomon has an interesting opinion a few chapters further...He said in Ecclesiastes 5:10-11 “Those who love money will never have enough. How meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness. The more you have, the more people come to help you spend it. So what good is wealth – except perhaps to watch it slip through your fingers.” NLT

Reminds me of the song “Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places” It was in the movie URBAN COWBOY with John Travolta. That’s our problem…we’re always looking in the wrong places...for love AND for happiness.

One thing is certain - There is nothing this world has to offer that will bring lasting happiness. Interestingly, I recently received a blog update from Kevin Connell titled "Searching for Happiness." It had some good stuff. Click here to read it.

How can you be happy? It's really not very hard at all. Jeremiah 17:7 says “Blessed (happy) are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence.”

Put your trust, hope and confidence in God. Pretty simple. Just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment